DSP Commercial Controller Support

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

DSP Commercial Controller Support

Postby twehr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Since the release of the Laser 2.x, there has been an increasing interest by builders in using the DSP commercial controllers from LightObject and other places. I have been using one of these controllers since before the 2.x and continue to use it on my own 2.x. Several other users have also successfully installed it in their builds using some documentation that I supplied. I suspect that other builders will be following suit. So Bart has added this forum area to allow us to all provide mutual support for the controller. We encourage everyone to use this forum section as your primary posting spot for your questions or ideas on this subject.

Additionally, over the next couple of months, I will be creating some posts to help you get started, to solve problems, and to use many of the features that you may not be aware of or may be aware but not sure what to do with it. Most will provide photos, videos, and documentation focused on a single aspect of the controller, especially as it relates to BuildLog.net lasers and users. Your questions will help determine the order these articles are done. Until then, I will pick the items that I have the most experience with or that interest me the most. :mrgreen:
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Re: DSP Commercial Controller Support

Postby J45on » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 pm

This is good news as I am looking to purchase a DSP very soon :D
EDIT is there a template for fitting the control panel ? will it fit where the 2.x interface panel is ?
J45on

Postby bdring » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 am

I would be happy to make a version of the skins that supports the DSP controller. I could put the panel on the top right skin or the front. I could make you a top piece and ship it for less than $20.

I just need the dimensions.

Edit: sorry...that is a domestic price.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:22 am

bdring wrote:I would be happy to make a version of the skins that supports the DSP controller. I could put the panel on the top right skin or the front. I could make you a top piece and ship it for less than $20.

I have a dxf of what I used to cut a small adapter panel. I think I may tweaked the final cut so will need to verify some measurements first. Can't just use factory drawings as they don't account for some extremely close spacing issues. I am tied up next three days, but should be able to do this early next week. I'll recut from ply to verify my drawing and then send that. Once done, you will be able to supply for future buyers.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby J45on » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:44 pm

bdring wrote:I would be happy to make a version of the skins that supports the DSP controller. I could put the panel on the top right skin or the front. I could make you a top piece and ship it for less than $20.

No worries Bart
If I could have afforded the shipping on a set of skins I would have bought them from you :D
I might hold up on getting mine cut if you are going to draw up a new version.
What is the viewing angle of the lcd display like, that would be a deciding factor on location for me
J45on

Postby twehr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:07 pm

J45on wrote:

No worries Bart
If I could have afforded the shipping on a set of skins I would have bought them from you :D
I might hold up on getting mine cut if you are going to draw up a new version.
What is the viewing angle of the lcd display like, that would be a deciding factor on location for me

I believe that top mount is going to be the best. Viewing will be possible either place but the buttons will be easier if top mounted.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby J45on » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:29 pm

twehr wrote:I believe that top mount is going to be the best. Viewing will be possible either place but the buttons will be easier if top mounted.

I totally agree, I have since realised that if it was on the front I would have to bend over to see :lol:
I also don't think there is room on the front between the extrusions.
J45on

Postby twehr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 pm

twehr wrote:I have a dxf of what I used to cut a small adapter panel. I think I may tweaked the final cut so will need to verify some measurements first. Can't just use factory drawings as they don't account for some extremely close spacing issues. I am tied up next three days, but should be able to do this early next week. I'll recut from ply to verify my drawing and then send that. Once done, you will be able to supply for future buyers.

I checked over the dxf last night and sent to Bart this morning. I believe Bill Meade may have used it as well, but before it was tweaked for final fit. Once Bart looks it over, we may try one to test. Then I assume Bart will make the panel and probably the drawing available. (We really try to make sure things are right before we tempt you to use them. Saves headaches for everyone.)
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Not a bad color match

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 am

Not a bad color match. USB Flash behind control panel.

dsp_panel.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Hmmm, I think what I would do there is lay the whole unit face down (to keep the display flush) then thread the screws into nuts so they are just flush with the back of the alupanel and then epoxy them in place. Sort of like how you do tricky weldments. That way you wouldn't have to have that ugly hole pattern.
BenJackson

Next

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller