Not enough space, extend pl

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Re: Not enough space, extend pl

Postby Gadroc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm

At least the 2012 DSP does not have a "bound area" that you can easily setup. You could set your origin and artificially limit bed size on the 2012 to simulate it, but it would be convoluted.
Gadroc

Postby dwessels » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:05 am

The DSP that I have has a "Box" button that I always push before I start to engrave.
It moves the laser in a box around the max edge of the cutting area for whatever you sent to the DSP. It alarms if it is beyond the travel of the laser.
dwessels

Postby twehr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 pm

dwessels wrote:The DSP that I have has a "Box" button that I always push before I start to engrave.
It moves the laser in a box around the max edge of the cutting area for whatever you sent to the DSP. It alarms if it is beyond the travel of the laser.

The Box feature is useful to ensure that you are getting the output where you want it and that the entire job will fit within the bounds of the work area. It doesn't not, however, warn you if there is enough room to actually perform the job. The difference is that engraving jobs require additional space, outside of the job bounds, to accelerate and decelerate the laser head. The higher your acceleration/deceleration speed, the less additional space it needs. That is why we like to keep the engraving acceleration speed at or above 8000. Even at that, an engraved object that has some part of it image touching the job bounds, will likely cause you to fail, once the job actually runs. The Box feature does not take this into consideration - it is just showing you the job output bounds.

For this reason, I typically try to run my jobs (and place the material to be engraved in the central portion (Xcenter) of the work area.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Tim,
Since you seem to coordinate with Marco more often than the rest of us, can you ask if they can program a check into the 2012 model? The DSP knows the image and it knows the acceleration, so it must know how much space is actually needed for offset from left and right sides. It should know if the origin of the job is set too close to the home limit, then the job will fail. It should warn of this failure BEFORE the job is allowed to run.
It seems a worthy feature to protect those of us that forget and put an expensive part down for engraving. Could have been worse. It could have been a laptop I was engraving.
lasersafe1

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Can you do "Box" mode 1" wider on each side than your engraving image? That way it would fail on checking the box limits instead of on rastering.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 pm

I don't have "Box " mode on my version 1 DSP (2009). I am seriously thinking of purchasing the 2012 DSP, but would like to know how responsive they are to adding improvements to the software. This one seems easy.
lasersafe1

Postby twehr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:32 pm

TLHarrell wrote:Can you do "Box" mode 1" wider on each side than your engraving image? That way it would fail on checking the box limits instead of on rastering.

One inch is not guaranteed to be enough - it depends on your acceleration rate.

I will be talking with Marco about this. (Honestly, I have never run into the issue to realize it existed in this fashion. I will try it this weekend and document it and then communicate it all to Marco.)
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby TLHarrell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:20 am

twehr wrote:One inch is not guaranteed to be enough - it depends on your acceleration rate.

Since I'm running Retina, I don't actually deal with acceleration rates. Of course, I'm plotting to build a larger machine in the future and information regarding this and other setup info for the DSP is definitely stuff I'm interested in. My machine seems to run around 1" when engraving at 100% speed. Could be slightly more. Haven't decided to run a fake job with the laser off to get that sort of measurement.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Previous

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller