Hot ends

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Hot ends

Postby mxk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

A couple people have asked about hot-ends. The first picture is a Mendel-Parts unit on an extruder. It works fine, but you don't want to over or under tighten the bolts holding the PEEK block or else it will put stress on the PTFE thermal insulator and you either get a blowout or it compresses and binds on the filament.

The second picture is an arcol.hu hot-end. This is a workhorse, never gets too hot, doesn't need a fan (on my setup, at least), but the attachment to the extruder has different bolt patterns than most others so you need an adapter plate or to print an extruder specifically for it. This is with a 0.55mm nozzle.

The Makergear groovemount system is my favorite. Makergear uses nichrome wire and fire-cement for the heating element which heats up and cools down very quickly, but it's fragile. They have a variety of nozzle sizes. I have this on my number 1 printer, with a 0.35mm nozzle.

The third picture is a J-head from http://www.hotends.com This also is a groovemount system, but the heater block and nozzle are one part. Nozzle sizes range from 0.35mm to 0.75mm.
Attachments
j-head.jpg
J-head hotend
arcol-hu.jpg
arcol.hu hotend
mendel-parts.jpg
mendel-parts hotend
mxk

Re: Hot ends

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 pm

One thing to keep in mind with the extruders is the Z travel. Extruders with a long nozzle could reduce the usable Z.

If you choose an extruder with a long nozzle, you may want to place it on a block or spacers on the carriage to get that Z travel back.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to ORD Bot