Building the Quantum ORD Bot

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Building the Quantum ORD Bot

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I have belts from two different suppliers. One belt barely fits in the slot and the other is pretty loose. If the belt is loose the teeth don't mesh enough. I guess the design is not very tolerant of different belt widths.

Try adding a little strip of masking tape to the back of the belt where it is in the slot to see if that bulks it up enough to be a tight fit.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 am

Dale,
That's not whining at all.
Adjusting the motor mounts is the only way to get the wobble out of the lead screws. I wrestled with that a bit at first too. When you get it adjusted as well as you can, if it still moves in "pulses," please post a video. Maybe someone will have some insight into the problem. That's the beauty of a forum.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby dalewheat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 am

First I had to fix the slack in the belt clamps. I measured the gap in the belt clamp as 2.25mm. The thickness of the two belts facing each other was 1.60mm, so I needed a bit more than some masking tape.

I ended up using some 0.030" aluminum shims cut to size, about 0.250" x 0.400". I just squeezed them into the space on the top side of the belt (not the "business end" emerging from the clamp and routed around the pulleys).

Those belts aren't going anywhere now!

I'd work on the Z-axis wobbles but I really need to find a better power supply first. I've repurposed a laptop-style 12V @ 3.3A supply and it only works some of the time.
dalewheat

Postby crispyfry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 am

I've repurposed a laptop-style 12V @ 3.3A supply and it only works some of the time.

If you are going to use a heated print bed, the general guideline is 20 amps at 12V. 30A is better. Without a heated bed I think you need a minimum of 6A.

You can get 12V 30A supplies from ebay for about $35. Very easy to wire up, and lots of headroom.
crispyfry

Previous

Return to ORD Bot