ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby Improbable Construct » Fri May 25, 2012 9:18 pm

That's great!
Cant wait to get mine in the mail!
Improbable Construct

Re: LAVA is here and ready to flow!!

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat May 26, 2012 2:07 am

frob wrote:IF you have preoreded a LAVA and want an alternate Voltage/Power setting, please PM me this weekend with your choice.

OK, I pre-ordered and pre-paid, what are my options?

I will be running an AzteegX1, 12v (ok, maybe 13.6 radio PS) in for the board which is what goes out to the bed and hot end.

I would appreciate your counsel and recommendations....

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby frob » Sat May 26, 2012 3:14 am

Gladly!
with 1ohm resistance you just square the voltage to get power, so 13.6^2 = 185W, also AMPS = Volts so 13.6A (cold)
it might be a little high for the Azteeg- it could be ok too because it only goes full-on until it reaches target temp and then the resistance is higher, current and power is lower, and
its only on at a low-ish duty cycle after that.
I actually have and AzteegX1 so if i have time this weekend i'll try it and and see if the mosfets stay in their safe temp zone or not.

The other choice is to set it up in 100W mode (12V): at 13.6V that works out to around 138W cold , 100W @ 100C , which should be fine.

WhiteB0rd wrote:
frob wrote:IF you have preoreded a LAVA and want an alternate Voltage/Power setting, please PM me this weekend with your choice.

I will be running an AzteegX1, 12v (ok, maybe 13.6 radio PS) in for the board which is what goes out to the bed and hot end.
WB
frob

Cool BLUE glowing RED-HOT LAVA ?

Postby frob » Sat May 26, 2012 3:29 am

The LED's i chose for LAVA are orange, because thats the most intutive color to represent something "red-hot" meaning "don't touch or you might get burned"
but i have to admit the blue LED version i sent Bart for Maker Faire looks *really* awesome.
They're quite a bit more expensive than the other colors though, so i dont plan to switch to blue as the norm, but....
As a special thank you reward for my pre-paid preorder customers, i just managed to get an order in for some super-bright blue LED's which i should get by Monday.
Thus, all preordered LAVA's will come with bright BLUE LED's (unless you PM me to say you actually prefer orange)

48H left to get in on this... tik..tok..
:-)
frob

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby naPS » Sat May 26, 2012 3:32 am

I think it will look bad-ass in blue, honestly. For some reason, the color orange always reminds me of puke. Not sure why.
naPS

Cool BLUE glowing RED-HOT LAVA ?

Postby frob » Sat May 26, 2012 4:11 am

naPS wrote:I think it will look bad-ass in blue, honestly. For some reason, the color orange always reminds me of puke. Not sure why.
LOL! i remember why: Beer + Doritos & Cheese puffs
frob

Re: Cool BLUE glowing RED-HOT LAVA ?

Postby rogue555 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm

frob wrote:48H left to get in on this... tik..tok..
:-)

Count me in! :D

-Matt
rogue555

Postby orcinus » Sat May 26, 2012 3:29 pm

frob wrote:LOL! i remember why: Beer + Doritos & Cheese puffs

I think i've just puked in my mouth a little... :?
orcinus

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 pm

WhiteB0rd wrote:

frob wrote:Gladly!
with 1ohm resistance you just square the voltage to get power, so 13.6^2 = 185W, also AMPS = Volts so 13.6A (cold)
it might be a little high for the Azteeg- it could be ok too because it only goes full-on until it reaches target temp and then the resistance is higher, current and power is lower, and
its only on at a low-ish duty cycle after that.
I actually have and AzteegX1 so if i have time this weekend i'll try it and and see if the mosfets stay in their safe temp zone or not.

The other choice is to set it up in 100W mode (12V): at 13.6V that works out to around 138W cold , 100W @ 100C , which should be fine.

OK, I want mine set up for the AzteegX1, assuming 12v input, and the blue LEDs sound amazing.

A friend is considering jumping on the pre-order, and wonders about configurability, and reconfigurability (how do you do that, jumpers?) and the possibility of using a 12v relay controlled by a RAMPS to switch 120v to drive the heat. Does your design permit that?

For that matter, is there docco or a wiki on this board that we could all be reading instead of pestering you (and distracting you from packing/shipping) 8-) ?

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm

frob wrote:
naPS wrote:I think it will look bad-ass in blue, honestly. For some reason, the color orange always reminds me of puke. Not sure why.
LOL! i remember why: Beer + Doritos & Cheese puffs

<set context="Simpsons + Southpark", personality="Homer + Cartman">

Hmmmmmm, Cheezy-poofs.........

WB
WhiteB0rd

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot