Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Postby Farris89 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I just received my azteeg x3. When trying to power from usb, the led3 (blue) flashes once along with led2(red). They both turn off then. I think it is shorted somewhere. Any ideas on what to try?
Farris89

Postby flickerfly » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Did you move the jumper that tells it where to get power from? It's under the daughter board in the middle.
flickerfly

Postby Farris89 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Yes. I moved it to the usb side. I believe I have a short on the board. D8 is for sure shorted. But I don't think it being shorted would make the blue led come on then stay off.
Farris89

Postby blah_59 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:03 am

fma wrote:I made a test using this FTDI-TTL cable:

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/ftdi-usb-to ... -5v-6.html

The USB is only located inside the plug, so the cable does not act as an antenna!

And it works fine too :P

Don't know yet which solution I will finally use: RS232 or FTDI USB cable... In the first case, I plan to make a special USB cable, with only power lines, to power up the RS232-TTL converter...

It looks like the COMMS is messed up on my Azteeg X3. I've been running my hadron off a Raspberry Pi using Octoprint and it worked great but tonight I went to print something and getting some weird results. I can connect as normal and jog the motors but as soon as I try and turn on a heater I get a disconnection from the X3. To troubleshoot, I hooked the printer back up to my main computer (that I used for the purpose before using the R-Pi) and got the same results.

My question, if the FTDI chip on the X3 burned out, can I bypass it and go to the pins on J2 using something like the link above or are they just another interface for the on-board FTDI?
blah_59

Postby fma » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:34 am

The J2 connector is wired to the AVR RX/TX pins. Some, you can bypass the internal FTDI (which has some resistors, so no short circuit issue between lines).
Frédéric
fma

Postby flickerfly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:54 pm

I burned out my ftdi and used the j2 headers for awhile. Then I replaced theft231x using hot air and lots of patience. J2 sometimes required me to hard reset to makea connection.
flickerfly

Postby Mimo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Can anyone share where can I find instructions on how and what do I need to do in order to make my azteeg x3 wire correctly to run mini kossel?
Do i need to solder anything? I am afraid to ruin it and I cant find any instructions..
Mimo

Postby flickerfly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:10 pm

The wiring diagram on the X3 product page is immensely helpful for that sort of thing. You may need to do some research to know what your printer requires Here's a direct link:
http://files.panucatt.com/datasheets/x3 ... iagram.pdf

The primary thing to not break a drive is not to run the drivers you plug into the board without the steppers plugged in. If you plug the steppers in wrong, they aren't likely to cause problems, but you can find wiring information on them in lots of places.
flickerfly

Postby Mimo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:20 pm

What about soldering (iys written to solder the connectors, what connectors?)
And do i need to remove the shield in order to connect a jumper or anything?
I am new to all this electronic staff..
Mimo

Postby flickerfly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:29 pm

The X3 comes with a variety of options concerning connectors and what headers are or are not soldered onto the board. If you've never soldered before I'd suggest that you're going to want to practice on something else if the connectors aren't already in place. There are a variety of blue and green screw terminals along the edge of mine. Yours may have copper headers sticking out in the place of that along the edges or they may have come with one of these options loose in a bag for you to solder yourself.

It might be better to start a new topic to cover this since most of this isn't really related to the X3 itself, but generally electronics. If you have a hackerspace nearby, you might consider checking that out. They're great for getting up to speed on things like this quickly. It's takes longer to do this over the Internet.
flickerfly

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot