Twisted v-rail from RRP

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Twisted v-rail from RRP

Postby jammer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 pm

I disassembled my mechanicals kit from RRP this week in preparation for drilling the holes to run the wires in the frame. I took it apart on my kitchen island that has a granite top on it. After laying one of the frames on the counter top I noticed that it rocked back and forth when it should have laid flat. After taking all of the pieces apart I got out my feeler gauge to measure exactly how much twist there was in the rail. Here are the results:

One of the 330mm z-axis rails has a corner gap of .559mm and the 420mm rail has a gap of .279mm. Here is a picture to show how I measured the twist:

measuringvrailtwist.jpg

The other rails had such a small amount of twist that I was not able to measure it <.127mm (smallest feeler gauge I have) and they did not seem like it would make a difference. I notified RRP and sent them the same pictures and am waiting to hear back about replacing the rails. Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

This is my first printer I have built but I have to imagine that the amount of twist in these two rails would make a person go insane trying to square everything up. The twist in the 420mm rail would make trying to level the bed a impossible. I am hoping that RRP can get a couple of replacements to me in the next week or so.

I called Inventables today to see what the manufacturing tolerance is for the makerslide v-rail and they emailed back that it is .5 degrees per foot. Not being an engineer, I am not sure how to compare this to the amount of twist in my rails. I just know that mine seem to have quite a bit, especially the 330mm rail (.559mm)
jammer

Re: Twisted v-rail from RRP

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:47 pm

In your case, 0.5 degree per foot translates into the corner standing up about a third of a millimeter. In my experience, Inventables MakerSlide is not measurably twisted, not even close to the limit they quoted you.
cvoinescu

Re: Twisted v-rail from RRP

Postby jammer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:01 pm

cvoinescu wrote:In your case, 0.5 degree per foot translates into the corner standing up about a third of a millimeter. In my experience, Inventables MakerSlide is not measurably twisted, not even close to the limit they quoted you.

Thanks for the help. RRP was great about it after I contacted them. They are giving me a credit so that I can just purchase new makerslide rails from Inventables. I was surprised at how quick they resolved it.
jammer

Return to ORD Bot