Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Postby Merfman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:09 am

Hello everyone!

This will be yet another noob ORD Bot Hadron build.... before I get started asking questions, a little intro: My name is Ken Murphy. I've been working in the electronics industry since 1979 working in IC design as a technician, layout designer and design engineer. I'm dangerous in 6-7 different programming languages and understand most things electronic. I'm also a motorcycle racer and turn my own wrenches there as well, so I understand mechanicals... somewhat. ;) That said... I haven't built anything like this since I built my first Apple ][ ...

I bought my Hadron from RRD. First only the mechanicals were sent, then a followup on my order had the electronics sent in the following days. Since buying the kit, I've salvaged a power supply locally and made the necessary mods. I've assembled and squared the frame and am ready to start with the assembly in earnest... problem is, what step is next? I think I can bungle my way through this but if there is a guide that'll at least give me the broadest steps, that'll help a lot. I've perused most of the build logs here and have gained a lot of knowledge already but it seems most everyone already knows the steps... or am I just making it too hard?.. Anyone have a comprehensive guide? Advice?

For the record, I have, or have ordered:
Ordbot Hadron + Ultimate electronics -
http://www.reprapdiscount.com/mechanica ... onics.html

Hotend - J-Head Mk V-BV -
https://www.hotends.com/index.php?route ... duct_id=88

Extruder - Wades Reloaded extruder -
http://www.ultibots.com/gregs-wade-reloaded-extruder/

In the coming days I'll mount the electronics and the end stops unless someone has a better idea... ;)

Thanks in advance!
Merf
Merfman

Re: Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Postby jb92563 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm in the same boat as you except I received the electronics first and still waiting on the Hadron Hardware from ATI.

ATI Hadron Hardware
Reprapdiscount Ultimate Ramps1.4+LCD+Heatbed etc.
Ultibots J-Head Mk V-BV .35mm Kit for 1.75mm Filament
SeeMeCNC EZStruder Cold End Kit

Here is what I've gathered and should be helpfull to you.

The Ord Bot Build Wikki
http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?i ... he_ord_bot

These are the steps in order from the above Wikki

Assembly

Preparation
Decisions About Wiring
Assembly
Electronics
Software
Testing
FAQ

Also check out this Hadron Build Video series.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... qbRzkxBQz8

So far I have loaded Marlin on the RAMPS1.4 and Pronterface on my laptop, plus I'm trying a few of the free modeling
softwares to see which I like best.

The Hadron hardware should arrive this week.
jb92563

Postby Merfman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! I've come to realize that no instructions are the state of the art for this printer... everything I've
found, so far, has been incomplete, like the author just got to a point where he/she could print and lost interest.
The YouTube vids were done by a guy here in Colorado Springs. He's a member of the local 3D group and his printer
(and printed results) were one of the reasons I chose this printer! I'll pick his brain if I have to but really don't want
to be a pest... :roll: Once I get operational, I'll definitely be pestering him, he's getting some stellar prints!

Thanks for the link, I have that one bookmarked! Here's another I found today, might be of interest but
from your report, you're well past these steps: http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

Looks like our printers are enough alike that we can help each other out here... feel free to post into this thread
unless you wish to start another... I'll try to make sure I get pictures posted as progress gets made...
Merfman

Postby jb92563 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 pm

My ATI Hadron Hardware arrived yesterday and I've started to build it.
I'm going to choose external wiring for now.

It was nice to see all the v-wheels assembled.

I'll be working on the Gantry this evening first, plus configuring the software again as I found all the settings I need.

How's your build going?

I have also been playing with various 3d Model software and have found Wings-3d useful.
Not the most intuitive but better than some others Ive tried so far.
jb92563

Postby Merfman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:18 pm

jb92563 wrote:My ATI Hadron Hardware arrived yesterday and I've started to build it.
I'm going to choose external wiring for now.

It was nice to see all the v-wheels assembled.

I'll be working on the Gantry this evening first, plus configuring the software again as I found all the settings I need.

How's your build going?

I have also been playing with various 3d Model software and have found Wings-3d useful.
Not the most intuitive but better than some others Ive tried so far.

Last thing I did was to get the hardware all squared up. I'm ready to start mounting the endstops as well as the
controller. I too decided to go with external wiring. I figure I can redo it once troubleshooting is done... if
it bugs me that much... I'm going more for function than form on this attempt.

I've been practicing with SketchUp and it seems to be able to do most of what I want to do. I found it fairly
intuitive but 3D takes a different mindset from what I do on a daily basis... it's coming 'round tho...

EDIT:

I started opening the electronics bags and sorting parts tonight. What I thought would be somewhat straightforward turned out to crank the question knob over to about 7...

One thing that's baffled me since day one is the placement of these T-bolts..

Nevermind, the assembly drawings CozmicRay had in his thread were the key to figuring this out, thanks!

There are 6 of them along the back side of the Makerslide.. are these for mounting the endImage

Next, speaking of end stops, I expected to find 6, (3 ea min/max) I have those, but I also have these, the 3 in the left of the pic. And, what are the 6 magnets for (stuck to the device just above the upside down IC2 in the bottom left board)?

EDIT: Hall effect end stops. Unsure why I have these in addition to the mechanical ones?

That's about it for tonight, gotta find some answers before moving forward, thanks for any help!
Last edited by Merfman on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merfman

Postby cozmicray » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:01 am

Take a look at
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1537

That's a thread I did when I did my ATI Hadron 1.5 years ago.

Lots of tweeking, mods so far

assembly drawings probably what you need

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=D30060

I also did RAMPS1.4 Marlin, Repetier-host

switched over to SeeMeCNC extruder and E3D hotend

ask I'll try to help out

Have Phun :D
cozmicray

Postby Merfman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:32 am

cozmicray wrote:Take a look at
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1537

That's a thread I did when I did my ATI Hadron 1.5 years ago.

Lots of tweeking, mods so far

assembly drawings probably what you need

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=D30060

I also did RAMPS1.4 Marlin, Repetier-host

switched over to SeeMeCNC extruder and E3D hotend

ask I'll try to help out

Have Phun :D

Sweet, thanks CozRay! I'd found your thread and have been reading it just about every day, thanks!!
EDIT: Found the links in your thread. I'll be printing some large copies of those drawings tomorrow!
Merfman

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 pm

You are correct. Those are hall effect (magnetic) end stops. Two magnets for each of three. Optional part. Use either the hall effect or the mechanical.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cozmicray » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 pm

You use three Minimum stops
so machine can home and know where 0,0,0 is

Software handles Max with max travel settings (Max X, Y, Z)

( but you can use hardware max stops)

:shock:
cozmicray

Postby Merfman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 am

I made progress today, w00t!

I got all the endstops mounted. I know I can use just the "min" stops but since I have no confidence in my firmware programming ability since I don't know what to expect, I decided to use both min/endstops in case I munged up the firmware.

Min/Max on the x-axis:

Min/Max on the y-axis (sorry for the artistic liberty):

Min/Max on the z-axis: Image

I also started to mock-up the mount of the Aurduino and the smart controller. Why do none of the holes line up on the mount plate? I used some #2-56 screws and 1/2" aluminum standoffs and used whatever holes looked reasonable. Some unorthodox alignment was required (aka crooked). I think I'm going to make an alternate plexi mount for the controller and Arduino until I can print something cool once I'm functional. Image

Questions that arose today:
If I mount my smart controller on the top cross-plate, how likely is it that the gantry will collide with the pot knob shaft on the controller when z-axis is close to max? It just barely clears the shaft, no way a knob can go on the end and it still clear...

What's the protocol, are the motor wires soldered to the motor-wire to Arduino connectors or 4 wire-connector on the end to facilitate later motor replacement? How often do the motors fail?

Once I get the wiring connected up, the next step is to DL the firmware and try to get it talking to my computer? This involves the Pronterface program or something similar, correct? I'm unsure of the sequence here, should I load the firmware then load my "program" for the Arduino? Or?

Started to feel a little "Maker"-like today... kewl!
Merfman

Next

Return to ORD Bot