Recommendation on a print cooling fan holder?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Recommendation on a print cooling fan holder?

Postby fsamir » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:35 am

Hi all,

I am struggling to find a fan holder to cool the print on my Ord Bot Hadron. I am using a Bulldog XXL Extruder with an AluHotend and I can't fin anything that fits underneath the extruder.

Any tips?
Franklin Dattein
fsamir

Re: Recommendation on a print cooling fan holder?

Postby secretgspot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 am

I made my own, I drilled a hole in the carriage, near where two holes are on the left side, near nozzle. Then with 3d software I made a simple bracket that holds a fan under 25deg angle towards the bed. I want to switch to bigger fan for more testing. Still getting some defects on first layers.

Either way if you have e3d nozzles, I've seen some fan attachments for the nozzzle, but sounds like you got qubd.
secretgspot

Postby butterfingers » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 am

I use one of these:

http://www.dx.com/p/av-752512s-dc-12v-b ... diy-128160

This was preferable for me as it's quieter and looks tidier than a regular fan, and it's harder for little people to poke things into.

I designed a little flat piece that bolts to the two "spare" holes at the end of the Hadron's carriage. The mounting plate has a cut out for the fan nozzle which the fan unit just pushes into. It doesn't move.

Under the fan I designed a curved duct that I evolved into something that works for my hot end. The airflow goes about 1/3rd to the cooling fins of my J-Head, and 2/3rd to the tip of my hot end. Works well.
butterfingers

Postby flickerfly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:29 pm

I just setup this solution. I'm pretty happy with my first test. The mounting edges are at about 80 degrees to permit a bit of an angle of the fan towards the print and they pivot on the single mounting point so they can be adjusted to be nearly flush with the tip of the print head. Because they cross each other, they cover a larger area. My last solution with a single fan would clearly not cool the opposing corners the same as the ones closest to the fan. This also does some cooling of the hot end barrel so if I ever mess with longer PLA prints hopefully that won't be a problem. If it is, I'll just have to put another fan on front. I should have plenty of mounting surface for that. I may put a thin fan under the carriage though.

For now I'm just using 5V fans I pulled out of an old Netgear router. I'll probably upgrade them as better options come available.

flickerfly

Postby Atreidae » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm

secretgspot wrote:I made my own, I drilled a hole in the carriage, near where two holes are on the left side, near nozzle. Then with 3d software I made a simple bracket that holds a fan under 25deg angle towards the bed. I want to switch to bigger fan for more testing. Still getting some defects on first layers.

Either way if you have e3d nozzles, I've seen some fan attachments for the nozzle, but sounds like you got qubd.

Personally after my testing on the weekend, I've switched the fan off for solid infill layers and especially the first three layers.

I have a model that has 6 layers of solid infill on the bottom. Even with the fan switched off for the first 3 layers, as soon as the fan turns on I get lamination problems on infill greater than 10mm in length, regardless of speed.

I personally now only use the fan for bridging and really short layers.. Slic3r supports this natively.
Atreidae

Postby flickerfly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:06 pm

I definitely need the fan on thin columns when I'm using the ABS. I haven't done much PLA. ABS will hold onto the heat and my nice square corners become round blobs because the heat builds up. I agree though, it doesn't need to be on during the entire print. Have you messed around with enclosures and less than 100% fans, etc.?
flickerfly

Return to ORD Bot