Imagining Laser 3.x

General discussion of laser machines

Imagining Laser 3.x

Postby sshwarts » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm

I wanted to start a discussion (if there's any interested parties out there) on what a laser 3.x design might look like. I'm enjoying very much all I make with my modified 2.x design and dream of what I would do differently if I built another one. Please jump in with ideas. Some things I would consider:

-Larger format
While mine can handle 36"x24" sheets, I'd like to have an even larger format. There's lots of ideas here on how to do that without introducing lots of optics problems including:
* Having laser tube ride on carriage so you have to only worry about the distance of Y.
* Having a movable bed ala 3D printer.

-New Bed Design
I find that the existing bed raise/lower system to be clunky and prove to misalignment. In addition, I'd like to be able to load larger sheets in from the front but the threaded rods get in the way (they could of been moved to the corners I suppose but then I'd need a really really long belt).

* Maybe have the bed ride on smooth rod and bearing and then use a precision screw?

-Separate electronics
This was brought up by someone previously, splitting out the electronics from the laser housing.
* Could be an issue with lengths of wiring to steppers or drivers but making it more modular would be nice.

This is just a start, please feel free to add!
sshwarts

Re: Imagining Laser 3.x

Postby rsm5178 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:47 am

Good thoughts Scott.

I went to see an Epilog fusion m2 and a zing last week for work. I did notice a few neat things 60k USD can buy you. Some could be incorporated.

1. You can move the laser head completely out of the way of the table for easy access.

2. Stiffer gantry. I think prime engraving resolution comes from the smoothness of the motion.

3. Smoother linear motion.

4. Clean out door / loading door.

Number 2 and 3 could drive costs up a bit but 1 and 4 would be easy upgrades.

Rich
rsm5178

Re: Imagining Laser 3.x

Postby bloq » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:33 am

oh what an awesome idea : ) Just finished 2.x but learned so much since then ... would love to go for a 3.x! Especially the linear
motion, larger size and better optics is an idea i would like ...
bloq

Return to General