Mach3 Engraving Help

Discuss Laser CNC Software Issues

Mach3 Engraving Help

Postby awesomenesser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:42 am

I am making an attempt to get my laser engraving using Tweakie's newest plugin for Mach3 and I am having some issues.

I have read through the pdf that explains how to setup the plugin and I have had a few difficulties. The first one is in the motor tuning. In the first step it says to set the motor to the proper steps per inch/mm (which I have done). One quick question nobody mentions what stepping I should be using full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16? I also realize that people have stated that 0.9 degree/step motors work best. I don't have one right now but I will be ordering one as soon as possible. The next step is too set the velocity and acceleration to the highest settings (which i have also done). But my issue here is that he goes on to say that it should be set to 4000 to 20000 "units per min". What does this mean, my maximum setting is 375in/min (on a 1.8deg/step with 1/16 stepping).

I am also not sure what I should be setting the Feedrate option to in the engraving plugin. If I set it too high the engraving crashes partway through, does anyone have a recommendation?

Other than those fine details my laser does engrave it just has issues with the edges. Take a look at the picture below it appears that the left stroke is not aligned to the right stroke. I have tried CV mode but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone have a recommendation as to how I can fix this issue?

P1010830.JPG
A test print with the edge issues.

Lastly does anyone have a full write up on how to set up Mach3 engraving? I tried to find one but did not have any luck.

Here are a few useful links if somebody needs them...
Forum post with new Plugin and pdf
The engraving plugin instructions
The dll of the new plugin
A useful buildlog post about the engraving plugin
awesomenesser

Re: Mach3 Engraving Help

Postby naPS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:42 am

Tweakies stuff is in mm/min or mm/sec, he's a British dude, I believe. 375ipm is more than enough speed. Also, you should get your stepping as high as possible, hopefully something that gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 steps/inch.

That's what worked best for me.
naPS

Re: Mach3 Engraving Help

Postby wildseyed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 am

Regarding the "Crashing half way through", are you using the eval version? If so, it has a limit on the number of gcode lines it will process.
wildseyed

Return to Software