Cutting laser PSU wires allowed ?

Electronics related to CNC

Cutting laser PSU wires allowed ?

Postby educa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi,

My PSU has quite long wires and they are actually too long for my machine.

May I cut these wires to size ? Both positive and negative?

Or may I just roll the excessive cable in a loop ? (I'm a little afraid of loops because after all its 19000+ volts and I always learned loops form coils which make magnetic fields.

Also, from my PSU to negative electrode there is a wire, but that wire needs to be interrupted to put my amperemeter in between. My tube is a reci 80 watt tube + matching PSU. These wires are pre-installed on PSU and have a metal ring to nicely screw onto the metal electrodes on the laser tube. I really wonder if I may cut thos wires and is I may eventually shorten them ?

The shortening is especially for the positive (high voltage) wire. The negative will have to be made longer to mount the ampmeter.

Kind regards,
Bart
educa

Re: Cutting laser PSU wires allowed ?

Postby Techgraphix » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes, Yes and Yes.
Yes, You may shorten both your cables (in fact, as short as possible is better)
Yes you may cut the return wire to include an Amp-meter.
Yes you can shrink or solder a new shoe or eye on the wire to connect to your Reci.

Winding up the excessive cable will form coils, selfinductors or solenoids.. what ever you like to call them... NOT a good idea, here!
Maybe you can mill a nice support for the HV-plug from a plastic (POM, Teflon etc). Keep the Positive HV wire quite a distance from your metal frame. A few extra supports (~ 1 inch) can do a great job.

Kees
Techgraphix

Return to Electronics