Number of endswitches on 2.x build?

Electronics related to CNC

Number of endswitches on 2.x build?

Postby bloq » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:01 am

Hey all,

i am a little bit confused with my build and the end switches. (i bought the plastic parts and it seems like two of them are missing which confuses me a bit).
How many endswitches did you use on your build? the bom says 5 switches but i was wondering if i need a switch on every side of every axis. What i understand so far:
- One switch in the left side of the gantry, mounted on the metal plate (used for the x axis. Won't i need one on the right side, too?)
- One switch on the right side of the gantry, mounted on the metal plate and used for the y-axis (same question as above. Why is there only one which acts when the gantry reaches the front of the machine)
- One switch for the lid
- One switch for the bottom of the z-axis
- One switch for the top of the z-axis (both mounted near to the little vertical extrusion where the y axis nema is mounted)

thanks a lot,
André
bloq

Re: Number of endswitches on 2.x build?

Postby reeser » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Andre:
Maybe I can help a little here.
You need one switch for the door close interlock.
You need two switches for the X and Y homing. Mine are mounted for X on the underside of the makerslide and is actuated by the laser carriage assembly. My Y is mounted on the right hand gantry piece. If you use the DSP you can use "soft limits" which you set in the software for the other ends of these two axes to prevent crashes. You can also install physical limits at these ends to do the same thing if you wish. If you are going to use Mach3 you can also set up "soft limits" in that software.
If you are building the movable Z axis (Which I know you are :) ) you need an upper and lower limit switch for those.

In my build I use a total of seven limit switches.
Door Interlock-1
X axis-2
Y axis-2
Z axis-2
I think five is probably the minimum if you use "soft limits" for the non-homing ends of your X and Y axis and are adding the Z axis.

Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

Regards,
Dick
reeser

Re: Number of endswitches on 2.x build?

Postby bloq » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Hey Dick : )

awesome! Thank you so much. I was already looking at your pictures but i did not see all the stop switches so i made this post. Of course you know my build ; ) There is much of your knowledge and parts in it ;-).

i will follow your example and increase my number of stop switches to 7. Thanks for the explanation :-)

André
bloq

Return to Electronics