Bad sound from tube: please help

Electronics related to CNC

Bad sound from tube: please help

Postby bloq » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Hey all,

my almost new buildlog laser has been working fine for about a week. Today i did some engraving and suddently heard a cracking noise from the upper left corner where the high voltage connection to the tube is made. I attached a link to a video for the sound. The sound in the video is a bit fast because it occurs every time the laser fires and this is a rather fast engraving. The issue also happens when i just hit the fire button. The tube itself does not emit anything when the sound occurs. Sometimes there is still a beam coming out but most of the time this happens. I cannot see any cracks on the tube and i cannot see arcing or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZMuFEX9KOI

could you please help me?

tm
bloq

Re: Bad sound from tube: please help

Postby sshwarts » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:44 pm

It sounds to me that there's an arc to ground going on. I would suspect the connection to the laser tube or connection to the power supply. May also be a power supply problem. Check your connections carefully
sshwarts

Re: Bad sound from tube: please help

Postby bloq » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:11 am

ah you are so right! Thank you very much. I was using a quick connector and i guess it was too weak for the tube. It was already burnt a little bit.
Everything is fine now! Thank you! How did you connect the tube? I heard people use quick connectors all the time but the result with the
small wago connector was not very good. Maybe i should use the old "chocolate blocks" ...

tm
bloq

Return to Electronics