Electrical Grounding

Electronics related to CNC

Electrical Grounding

Postby gavztheouch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:40 pm

I am almost ready to switch on my laser. I am worried about the grounding on my system. Is it ok to tie all the electrical ground to the frame and the earth terminal on a standard UK plug?

Would it be better to use a radiator in my room to ground the laser through the water supply? Is there a way of testing grounding?

Cheers

Gav
Timothy hay for rabbits delivered over the UK http://www.timothyhay.co.uk
gavztheouch

Re: Electrical Grounding

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I just use the standard outlet ground. It can't hurt to earth ground the frame though. The clear anodize makes it hard. You need to sand off the finish a little.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Electrical Grounding

Postby BenJackson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:56 pm

I ohmed out a bunch of the cut ends of my frame after I scuffed and grounded a rail near the electronics bay. I found it was hit-and-miss as to which of the frame elements actually had electrical connectivity. A butt-joint between a cut end and an anodized surface seems to have a good chance of remaining isolated. I'd prefer my whole frame was connected but I would have had to think of it during the assembly phase and scuff everywhere.

I ended up leaving it alone figuring my main concern was HV and HV was going to arc easily between frame members anyway (I accidentally got to witness the HV laser PSU arc once and it made it a good inch in air).
BenJackson

Return to Electronics