Assembling electronics

Electronics related to CNC

Assembling electronics

Postby redskyrc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I would like to begin the construction of my 2.x laser. Can someone tell me what is a POT? What does it do? also, I am also wondering if someone can post some links to good electronics safety websites that explain the basic safety procedures like checking circuit voltages safely and grounding properly etc. I just wanted to do this as safely as possible. Is there a book I can read that explains what I need to know about electronics to be able to assemble this machine? I have assembled 3 custom pc's before from scratch, so I am willing and able to follow directions. :geek:
redskyrc

Re: Assembling electronics

Postby metalman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:26 pm

The term "pot" is short for a potentiometer, which is a variable resistor. If you do a google search for basic electronics a bunch of good sites will pop up. You can also find some inexpensive books at Radio Shack. "Getting Started in Electronics" is a good one to start with. You should also get a digital volt ohm meter. You can get a cheap DVM at the Shack or from Harbor Freight. An experimenters electronics kit, also from the Shack, is good to get hands on experience about how electronics circuits work.

As far as safety, don't touch ANYTHING that is hot (plugged in). Always use a meter to make sure a circuit is deenergized before working on it. Capacitors can hold a charge for a long time after the power is turned off. NEVER use a standard meter on the High Voltage output on the laser power supply. (High Voltage will kill it.) Read ALL the safety warnings. Keep one hand in your pocket...develop a healthy respect for electricity. Ask questions about anything you are not sure about. Find a buddy close by that knows electronics to help mentor you.

Hope that helps,
Jay
metalman

Re: Assembling electronics

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Perhaps someone interested in starting a small business could assemble the electronics package for the entire drawer assembly of the 2.x and sell it for cost + assembly markup rate. I find this stuff easy, but it scares me when I see inexperienced people trying to do high voltage electronics. I know I'm too busy for this type of side business, but perhaps someone has the time.
lasersafe1

Return to Electronics