Announcing the ORDuino !

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Announcing the ORDuino !

Postby frob » Sun May 20, 2012 11:47 pm

LOL
Well thankfully i built-up an immunity to that sort of establishments as a young adult. (it's St.Catherine's btw)
Otherwise i would never had saved enough money to buy my house. :roll:
So nope, i decided instead to to head to this lovely little island in the Sulu Sea near Malaysia (that's where my dart landed)
Sorry gotta go, time for my massage on the beach.... :P ;)

aleith wrote:that is not making me feel warm and fuzzy Are you implying Frantz has absconded with my money to the strip clubs on Catherine St. :x
frob

The incredible invisible watchdog

Postby frob » Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 am

Well, are you giving up ?
Its in there, you're just not looking in the right place...
There will be a high-rez picture of the board up soon, if you don't guess right by then, a careful inspection ought to help you solve this mystery 8-)

canadianavenger wrote:I'm still waiting for an answer on the watchdog ;)
frob

Re: The incredible invisible watchdog

Postby canadianavenger » Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 am

frob wrote:Well, are you giving up ?
Its in there, you're just not looking in the right place...
There will be a high-rez picture of the board up soon, if you don't guess right by then, a careful inspection ought to help you solve this mystery 8-)

Who said anything about giving up? I made a 2nd guess but never got any feedback, so assumed you had abandoned the challenge.
canadianavenger

guess again :-)

Postby frob » Mon May 21, 2012 5:24 am

You're right, i should have answered you much sooner, my apologies for that...
but, sorry no soup for you ;) .... its not the SO- package.
as oddly located as it is, that would be in fact the 5V-3V level shifter for the uSD card.

By the way the layout changed quite a bit before the final design went out to fab, so you should check out the more recent pictures / renderings before your next guess :)

canadianavenger wrote:I'll go with what looks like a SO20 package between the ISP connector and C5B?? [a little north of the circled component above]. As it sits in the general region of where the reset signal would be. [assuming I've located the ISP connector correctly. I was initially going to guess the BGA or LGA package at the top of the board under J6, but that is probably the USB uart, assuming that J6 is the USB connector]
Last edited by frob on Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
frob

ORDuino vs RAMPS 1.4 stack?

Postby frob » Mon May 21, 2012 6:11 am

Sorry i missed you post earlier -
Actually good i waited because now that i'm actually familiar with the firmware, i can better answer you.

Digitalmagic wrote:What is the clear advantage of the ORDuino, compared with RAMPS 1.4 stack?
There are many advantages but mostly they concern reliability and peripheral hardware capabilities and ratings. Check out the new flyer to get the whole scoop :)
Its the same processor as the Arduino Mega, running at 16MHz.
Digitalmagic wrote:My goal is hires and fast printing, to make it short.
To do this, I only can see powerful MCU, and optimized firmware.
You're absolutely right about that.
From messing about in the firmware recently, its seems apparent to me that the biggest bottleneck by far right now is the serial link and protocol handling in there.
That could be easily fixed but it would mean forking the firmware code project irreversibly away from Arduino-compatibility.
I am seriously considering doing it because of the code performance improvement, as much as a safety/stability angle as raw print speed.
but only after the basic port is done and reintegrated in the main codebase so people can still choose either.
The new fork would run on FreeRTOS.
It would be converted to a fully-preemptive, hard real-time project with most if not all of the time-critical code (and communications) running directly in small ISR's or in independent tasks triggered by them.
On Cortex i typically run at 200uS-500uS time-slices but i suspect in a 16Mhz AVR that will need to be closer to 5-10mS, dependent on potential code porting issues.
you could probably still compile it under the Arduino environment but i couldn't fathom why anyone would want to.
I'll probably build it in Eclipse (Open-source environment, same as Linux & Android) or at least in AVR Studio 7 (Free download, based on Visual Studio) if i must.

This porting effort will be a stepping stone towards a later revision of the board that will be 100% Cortex - probably M4 (or M3) running at 180 to 200+ MHz.
Obviously, its name will have to be totally different ;) Among its many powerful features, you can count: direct fast USB device AND host (USB key driver) 10/100 ethernet, color TFT LCD support, DSP features ( think 5-axis coordinated motion, circular, b-spline smoothing, slicing raw .stl on the fly)... plus built-in motor drivers, incremental encoder, fast nybble-mode SDIO controller ...etc..etc...etc... sorry no ETA yet on that version though. Don't expect it till end of summer, early fall.

Also, and partly due to weird issues ive been having with reprogramming the AVR's through the FTI USB interface IC, i am changing that to a tiny cortex processor (half the price as the FTDI IC to boot!) which has ROM-based USB drivers which i have used before and i know work well. on top of that, being totally configurable and expandable, will enable nice feature later, like : press a button to tell the cortex IC to wipe the AVR, show up as a USB hard drive when you plug it in, and drag & drop both a new firmware for the cortex to reprogram itself, and a new firmware to program into the AVR. That way even if you have a virgin board straight out of the oven you can have it loaded and running any firmware, Arduino or not, in minutes with no special hardware or PC utilities.
frob

Postby royco » Mon May 21, 2012 7:55 am

@frob

Got a chance to see the ORDuino in person at Makerfaire SF and it looks really superb. Hope to see it running on an ordbot next time. Nice touch on the LAVA too!

Royco
royco

Postby frob » Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks @Royco!
royco wrote:@frob
Got a chance to see the ORDuino in person at Makerfaire SF and it looks really superb. Hope to see it running on an ordbot next time. Nice touch on the LAVA too!
Royco
frob

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed May 30, 2012 6:29 am

I'm definitely planning on having an ORDuino and Lava build plate on my NEXT ORD bot!

I love the features and the way the controller is so integrated and optimized for this purpose. Very nice vision and great product idea.

I still have a brand new Mk 1 heated build plate. I may swap that out for a Lava build plate with the integrated thermistor.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby aleith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Still not shipping? How much longer?? update please @frob
aleith

Postby tango282 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 pm

I second the motion. Is Bart's proto the only one in the field?....was kinda sorta expecting one of those :?

Of course I can't comprehend how you guys engineer any of this stuff in your "spare" time 8-)
tango282

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot