ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby RSWeaverAz » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi Frob
I'll go with the blue diodes on the "LAVA" HBP as well.
I did a quick look at my private post's to you about the ORDuino and HBP,
couldn't find any indication on if I selected a voltage for the HBP.

I have an old Switcher Server Power Supply at the moment that has
3.3 V @ 18 Amp, 5V @ 75 AMP and 12 Volt @ 12 Amp.
Kinda Big and has never been powered up ... Was thinking of using:
5 volt for the ORDuino ( will that work ?)
12 volt for steppers, extruder, & HBP

So I guess set the LAVA HBP up to the 12 Volt 100 Watt (8.5 Amp) config,
that way about 3.5 amps are left for the steppers and extruder ... but is that enough?
I did a quick check and found someone who claimed only 20 Watts while warming up their Rep-Rap extruder heater,
and about 3 watts to extrude with a .5 mm nozzle @16 mm/S filament feed (using a well insulated hot end ... whatever that means).
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Cool BLUE glowing RED-HOT LAVA ?

Postby frob » Sun May 27, 2012 12:49 am

RSWeaverAz wrote: 5 volt for the ORDuino ( will that work ?) 12 volt for steppers, extruder, & HBP
That will work in theory but i haven't tested it yet; the 5V setup is a little special and it requires additional surgery on the board
which will leave a little scar (on the top front, to the left of the Hadron logo.)
Depending on what your planning to cover the hotbed with, it may be inconvenient or require accommodation of some kind.
I will try it tomorrow and post the results. At 5V your running 20A so heavy gauge wires are a must - think 14 AWG or heavier.
As far as i know, the ORDuino is the only board available that can handle 20+ amps. others will likely overheat.
So I guess set the LAVA HBP up to the 12 Volt 100 Watt (8.5 Amp) config,
that way about 3.5 amps are left for the steppers and extruder ... but is that enough?
Possibly, i was just discussing some clever but fairly simple firmware improvements that could be made to allow that much more easily.
Normally, while the hotbed is heating up, the motors are not in use. if you make sure the motor drivers are completely disabled while that is happening,
and use PID heating control which uses PWM switching at a reasonably high frequency (it may already be the case) then the current draw from the heatbed
while the motors are active, will be only a small fraction of the "preheat current" as far as the PSU is concerned.
One could also implement current limiting in the firmware by always using PWM on the hotbed with a fixed maximum duty cycle.
I did a quick check and found someone who claimed only 20 Watts while warming up their Rep-Rap extruder heater,
and about 3 watts to extrude with a .5 mm nozzle @16 mm/S filament feed (using a well insulated hot end ... whatever that means).
20W is pretty typical for extruder heaters, I've been looking around myself and it seems everyone is using the same value resistor pretty much.
The motors probably use more than that, around 10W /motor x4.
If your budget is 12V 12A that's 144W. it might work fine with the default 12V config. Brief overloads a few 10's of watts more for a few seconds shouldn't hurt it, especially if its very lightly loaded on the other voltage busses. Generally these things have a common heatsink inside for all the heat generating bits so if 3V & 5V stay cold then the 12V bits can safely dissipate a little more.
frob

Postby Enraged » Sun May 27, 2012 2:07 am

I'd like blue if you can, if not orange is fine. I've got RGB LEDs all over my machine anyways, so anything can be made to match.
Enraged

Postby Digitalmagic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm

What is the estimated date of shipping?
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Done!

Postby frob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Digitalmagic wrote:What is the estimated date of shipping?

Today!
Most shipped already, last few going out this morning ... individual emails to that effect going out a bit later today.
frob

Re: Done!

Postby Liberty4Ever » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:13 pm

frob wrote:Today!
Most shipped already, last few going out this morning ... individual emails to that effect going out a bit later today.

Great timing. I was just about to inquire. I didn't get a Hadron kit, so I've been on a scavenger hunt, and the parts are now arriving quickly. Shipping the Lava build plate today will be Just In Time delivery!

Thanks!
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby dalewheat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Frantz,

Are you shipping bot the "Hadron" and "Quantum" sized heated build platforms? Or just the "Hadron" size?

I'm really looking forward to both of them. My CD jewel-case cover has been retired, after teaching me the valuable lesson of the need for a perfectly flat build platform. :D

Thanks!

Dale
dalewheat

Postby frob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Dale,
we shipped 'em all, Hadrons and Quantums -

A quick note on the quantums - the LED's are a bit different than the Hadrons as you might recall- there's one in each corner;
The 2 front ones point to the back and the 2 back ones point to the front - this is intended so that a square piece of glass or similar protective surface material can be placed on top to fit snugly between the LED's and be edge-lit by them at the same time.
Should be a really cool effect with a piece of frosted tempered glass - i intend to pick up a piece this week to try that out- after we're all caught up with ORDuinos.

Also, we ran out of the teflon-coated (high-temp) fine twisted pair wire we were using for the thermistor leads, and had to switch to a slightly different kind i could get locally - the old one is black & white, while the new kind (used on the quantums and the last handful oh Hadrons we did) has an orange sheath over red & green insulated leads.

dalewheat wrote:Frantz,
Are you shipping bot the "Hadron" and "Quantum" sized heated build platforms? Or just the "Hadron" size?
I'm really looking forward to both of them. My CD jewel-case cover has been retired, after teaching me the valuable lesson of the need for a perfectly flat build platform. :D
Thanks!
Dale
frob

Postby Digitalmagic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 am

frob wrote:Hi Dale,
we shipped 'em all, Hadrons and Quantums -

Frob,

I did not receive mine (yet). I PMed you.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby Gijs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks for the Hadron Lava! It arrived last saturday. It looks awesome. Thanks so much for making this available to us! My list of components is now almost complete :)

I see that the board is configured for 10.8A. Do you know if this works with the Azteeg X1? I read that you had such a board too, so you probably can tell right away. another question regarding the glass plate: I remember reading that you would put a silicon sheet in between the PCB and glass. Do you have any specs for that?

Oh, and one more question: can I order another one?

cheers,
Gijs
Gijs

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot