Eccentric Nuts

Discussion Related to Blog Posts (suggestions welcome)

Re: Eccentric Nuts

Postby evokanivo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 pm

bdring wrote:I don't understand the statement. Draw a picture.

The part that fits in the plate is supposed to be thinner than the plate. I chose a value that is thinner than any reasonable plate. That part needs some decent height or it is more difficult to install or could tear or stretch the hole.

I was just trying to say the cylinder could be extended. Might add a little stiffness. Hadn't thought about thinner plates, though.
Attachments
eccentric nut.png
eccentric nut.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 37805 times
evokanivo

Postby bdring » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 am

You can't really chamfer the edges at the diameter it is. If it had a little shoulder to spare you could do it. I think the ShapeOko paint would tear anyway.

You really can't tighten it after adjusting because the any loosening would probably cause the thing to tip. It would then over tighten when it straightened up.

I think the shim is the best idea and it would have no issues if you made up that extra height everywhere else.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Oops - bad parts

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:13 pm

I just realized they were made wrong. The "boss" should be centered on the hex. These are centered on the threaded hole. Rotating them will do nothing to tighten them. The drawing is correct.

The supplier is working to replace them. I will send out replacements to anyone who bought them.

bad_parts.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Oops - bad parts

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:43 pm

bdring wrote:I just realized they were made wrong. The "boss" should be centered on the hex. These are centered on the threaded hole. Rotating them will do nothing to tighten them. The drawing is correct.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when the picture was first posted, but instead of clicking to see the enlarged image, I looked at the print. :roll:
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby bdring » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 pm

It is funny. I noticed they looked a little different, but wrote that off as just an illusion. I was driving to work thinking about ShapeOko paint scraping issue and the size of the shoulder. I realized the shoulder was what looked wrong on the nuts. I checked the picture because I didn't have any nuts with me and saw the problem.

I hope the turn around on the replacement parts is quick. I am waiting on that answer.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Any chance the corrected version might make it to the store at the same time as steel V-wheels?
orcinus

Postby bdring » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 am

The nuts are not ready, but did put the wheels up.

http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=75

I have been using them on my plasma. I am prototyping the plasma with standard MakerSlide. I plan to eventually hard coat the rail, but so far there is no visible wear on my rails yet.

dual_v.jpg
dual_v.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 37414 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Looks like i haven't been paying attention...
Didn't know they're a different diameter than the delrin V wheels.

How much of a difference is it? Can the plates be modded just by expanding the holes (well, redrilling them into an oval) on one side?
The reason why i'm possibly looking into these is because the gantry on my Hadron rocks a little along the X axis. Since the rocking seems to be mostly caused by the flex of the wheels (Wade's, a full size stepper and my SS adapter plate combine into a pretty hefty weight that gives it a pre-stress) I thought this might stiffen it without causing binding that tightening up the existing wheels even more would.
orcinus

Postby bdring » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 am

The size difference is quite a bit. Here is a rendering of the 2 side by side.

steel_v_delrin.jpg

Here are the basic dims.

5mm_V.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Oooh, the diameter is smaller.
I guess that wouldn't work, then, because there'd be "extra hole" towards the outside of the gantry.
So the bolts would be free to slide out and wheels to lose traction.
orcinus

Previous

Return to Blog Posts