ORD Bot with a 12" X 12" build platform

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

ORD Bot with a 12" X 12" build platform

Postby REdington » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

After getting my Hadron up and running and a very good friend seeing it action asked, "if I could build one that would print a part that is basically 11" long and 9" wide and about 4" tall". So this is going to be a experiment to see if it will work. I not going to build a heatbed for it until I see how well it will print PLA first.
I'm using my Bridgeport mill and 14" X 48" Clausing lathe to make all the parts. The fab parts are all made out .125 stock and the spacers for the V wheels and motor are out of 3/8 diameter stock. The carriage will be made out of 2 pieces of plate and a piece of 3/4" angle. I bought the makerslide, "V" wheels, eccentrics and belt idlers from Invendables. MXL drive pulleys from Stock drive, Nema 17's came from e-bay and I bought the the Ramps kit with smart LED controller from Reprapdiscount. For the extruder, I will use a heat sink and nozzle from QU-BD and will make the rest of the parts.

Here is the carriage

Today I have it all assembled and will start wiring it. I only drilled the holes in all the plates that I would need to get it assembled. For the limit switches and other mounting, I will drill them when I figure out where I want them.

For the Z axis I'm using 3/8" 12 acme like I used in the hadron as it has worked very well.
I hope to have it printing by Thursday. I still need a piece of glass and springs for the wiring yet.

Rodney
REdington

Re: ORD Bot with a 12" X 12" build platform

Postby blah_59 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Looks good :)

Do have any Y-axis wobble from the larger build platform?
blah_59

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:32 pm

That looks cool. I can't wait to see what you are going to print.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby nixtacy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 am

I've built a mostly identical machine, minus the bridgeport milled parts. Mine will be 12"x12"x16", with 90% of the sheet metal hand fabricated using spoons, forks, and knives. Right now, it is fully mechanically assembled with both QU-BD heads leveled to the build plate and to the axis'. As of tonight I'm about 20% complete with wiring.
However, I am using the Azteeg 8x8 helios heat bed and 8x8 glass for now, before stepping up to my 12x12 build plate (which will take place of the glass). I want to dial in the printer on the 8x8 before upscaling to the 12x12 part.

I haven't even begun to think about my software workflow yet.
nixtacy

Postby REdington » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 am

blah_59 wrote:Looks good :)

Do have any Y-axis wobble from the larger build platform?

I should have any. I built it up like my hadron. One end of the acme is turned down to 5mm in the lathe with a 5c collet that is concentric within .001. The coupler is 1/2" diam that is bored and reamed 5mm and is a tight slip fit to the motor and acme screw.
I also checked the acme for straightness using the bed ways on the lathe and .004 (it's what I had handy) feeler gauge and couldn't get the gauge under it at all. After I installed them, I measured over at the top and bottom from the makerslide and adjusted the motor till I got the same measurement. Did the same with the back of the bracket to the acme. Also measured the height of the gantry and the bottom main frame at both ends so the Y axis is parallel to it.

Rodney
REdington

Postby nismobg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 am

I dont want to be the one to break the party but that platform will be too big for this particular axis . You wont be able to achive high speeds :( and you will need to play with the acceleration more then the jerk. I had a 315x315 platform tested already. Too heavy for Nema 17.
Last edited by nismobg on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
nismobg

Postby REdington » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 am

nismobg wrote:I dont want to be the one to break the party but that platform will be too big for this particular axis . You wont be able to achive high speeds :( and you will need to play with the acceleration more then the jerk. I had a 315x315 platform tested already. Hoot heavy for Nema 17.

I thought of that also and I did put a 2 lb lead block on the table of my hadron and the my 78 oz nema 17 had no problems with it when I did a print in air with the same configs. The motor was still very cool when I felt it and the driver was no warmer than with out the weight. The table is a little heavier than the Hadron with the 2 lbs added so I might have some trouble. I'm not for sure if it missed any steps, but I'm still going to play with it and see how well it will do. Even if I need to slow it down a little, it'll be OK.

Rodney
REdington

Postby REdington » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I still do not have it wired yet. The more I think about the weight of the bed, the more I thought of way to lighten it.
This is what I came up with and will try it.
I think this will work OK with a 1/8" glass. I think I can still put a few more holes in it without damaging the integrity strength of it if I need to.

Rodney
REdington

Postby REdington » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

I just weighed it and it is right at 1 pound. The bed on my hadron is almost a pound and a half.
So I'm going to use it as it is.
Rodney
REdington

Postby nixtacy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 am

Mine is complete (save for the two fan wires, which I just got my parts in for that).
It powers up just fine. Still have not run it though. :(

It's running the 8"x8" build plate for now so I can dial it in...
I bought a 12"x12"x3/8" aluminum plate too that is at my machine shop getting milled and surfaced. The back will be milled out to a total build surface of .1 to .125" with stiffening ribs to prevent thermal expansion and warping, while still accepting the 8"x8" heat bed.

nixtacy

Next

Return to ORD Bot