MakerSlide Australia on indigogo

General questions and comments.

MakerSlide Australia on indigogo

Postby Mnippard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 am

I just found out someone is running an indigogo campaign to set up the tooling to produce MakerSlide in Australia. :D
This means we will finally get length's over 1m.
It's a little late for my project (2.x laser cutter) but I pledged for some v-wheels and spacers.

Australian's who want local MakerSlide should check it out here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/makerslide-australia
Mnippard

Re: MakerSlide Australia on indigogo

Postby geoffs » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:15 am

I hope he succeeds, it would be nice to be able to get a length greater than 1000mm.
He'll have to be agile with pricing as I can currently get 5 x 1 metre lengths of Makerslide for $120 including shipping.

Regards
Geoff
geoffs

Postby dwjp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Nice idea, but I personally can't see why I should support this when only 1m lengths are being offered? They can already be sourced quite reasonably from Inventables (compared to the local cost of t-slot extrusion), and longer lengths can be couried from the US for those very few projects that need longer lengths. >1m lengths will need to be couried within Australia anyway, which will be costly anyway.
dwjp

Postby josh333 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 pm

dwjp wrote:Nice idea, but I personally can't see why I should support this when only 1m lengths are being offered? They can already be sourced quite reasonably from Inventables (compared to the local cost of t-slot extrusion), and longer lengths can be couried from the US for those very few projects that need longer lengths. >1m lengths will need to be couried within Australia anyway, which will be costly anyway.

Australia Post will not accept any parcel over 105cm. For this reason, anything over 105cm will have to be sent with a courier requiring a custom transport quote - but this does not mean expensive. For example, a single 3 metre length from my door to Brisbane is $25 and this should not change much with multiple lengths. For what you get in my $105 perk will cost you $243 at Inventables posted to Australia. The reason I am not offering lengths over 1 metre is due to the fact that the transport cost will be different for everyone (compared to Australia post, who are able to offer a flat rate for multiple 1 metre lengths Australia wide). I have had several enquiries for lengths greater than a meter with one order consisting of 2x 3 meter lengths to Brisbane already being made.

Cheers,

Josh Sinclair
josh333

Postby dwjp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 am

That's pretty good, and fair call on the variation in courier charges given different destinations. I guess the difference from my experiences (where local companies typically charge more $30-50 for long packages) is in their handling/packing charges and markup.

I don't quite follow your math on the pricing though, I get ~$150 for 4x1m lengths from inventables with shipping, and they don't seem to sell the v-wheel shells by themselves, so how does one compare the two?
dwjp

Postby josh333 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

dwjp wrote:That's pretty good, and fair call on the variation in courier charges given different destinations. I guess the difference from my experiences (where local companies typically charge more $30-50 for long packages) is in their handling/packing charges and markup.

I don't quite follow your math on the pricing though, I get ~$150 for 4x1m lengths from inventables with shipping, and they don't seem to sell the v-wheel shells by themselves, so how does one compare the two?

Since posting my campaign I have received 3 bearing samples from o/s suppliers. I was very satisfied with one of the companies product and have gone ahead and ordered 1000 pieces. If the campaign exceeds its funding by at least 10% I will be including 32 bearings with all $105 pledges. After this they will be available for roughly one dollar. I actually forgot about the bearings when quoting my $243 figure however the campaign is still significantly cheaper with the $65 perk offering 4x1m lengths shipped Australia wide for less than 50% your above quoted price.
josh333

Postby dwjp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Sounds good. Best of luck to you! I'd love to get some longer lengths down to Melbourne to build a plasma cutter one day, but given limited funds and many other projects, I'm afraid I can't commit right now. Mind you, I'm kept pretty busy playing with my 2.x laser anyway...
dwjp

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Ahhh....the mysterious Australian surfaces :)
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dztrbd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Has anyone got any updates about this please. I havent found any updates about this for a month. And i really want some.
dztrbd

Postby josh333 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:14 am

dztrbd wrote:Has anyone got any updates about this please. I havent found any updates about this for a month. And i really want some.

Hey mate, updates can be found on the original indiegogo page. If you would like more info on ordering, then email me at Joshsinclair0@gmail.com

Cheers,
josh333

Next

Return to MakerSlide General Discussion