Laser powers on for no reason.

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Laser powers on for no reason.

Postby ThePropShoppe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm

I am in the finishing stages of my 2.x build and started aligning mirrors, I got the first mirror set up and went to answer the phone, When I came back I went to start aligning the second mirror when I noticed smoke from the block of wood I had placed in front of the mirror. A black dot appeared slowly. The laser seems to be powering itself on slowly if the system is left on. When I press the laser button on the DSP it fires the laser properly.

Could this be a wiring issue? As in not well insulated or shielded cables?

My specs Are
LO. DSP
40W tube from LO
40 Watt power supply From LO.

Thanks
Craig
ThePropShoppe

Re: Laser powers on for no reason.

Postby jkittle99 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm still in the build process myself (tube and power supply arrive tomorrow), but if I may advise disconnecting the control logic from the power supply, and seeing if the issue continues to occur. If it happens with just the tube and power supply connected, it's the power supply. If it only happens when the external control lines are hooked up, it's likely wiring or DSP related behavior. At least you can split things in the middle and start isolating the issue.... Assuming of course, it's reproducible at will.

Josh
jkittle99

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Also, make sure you do not have power (AC) wiring running parallel in close proximity to any data lines (especially for the laser control logic).

Good thing it happened while you had your hands outside of the enclosure. Nothing quite like trying to align the mirrors with the laser ON. :shock:
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby Gadroc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Check your grounding for the DSP. The DSP gets really flaky if it does have a very good solid ground. My ground cable was loose after I transferred it from my K-40 III to the Buildlog 2.x and I experienced several episodes like that before I discovered the loose ground cable.
Gadroc

Postby ThePropShoppe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Rerouted some wires and retightened the rest. Seems to have problem solved.

Thanks for the help.
ThePropShoppe

Postby cin10dy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:02 am

wireless jamming device portable online wholesale
jammer gsm china
cin10dy

Return to 2.x Laser Support