reeser's 2.x buildlog

Post your build logs here

reeser's 2.x buildlog

Postby reeser » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 pm

I have finally gotten underway with my build. I started researching the 2.x build in the November 2014 time frame. I started accumulating parts in December and finally got enough stuff together to start the build about three weeks ago. As you can see from the pics I'm not too far along, but I have most of the parts on hand. I've decided to pretty much build the 2.x based on the original design with perhaps a few tweek's along the way. I have tenatively decided on using the LO AWC608 DSP for the laser. I would be interested in any input pro or con on that decision.
I haven't got all of the electronics together yet and if anyone has any advice that would be great.
I'll try to post pictures as I go.
Since I've just finished gathering up all the parts I'm pretty current on sources if anyone just starting a build has any questions.

I do have an extra set of all the plastic parts that I bought from Bob T. (injunear) in December. They are now excess to my needs and I would like to sell them to anyone who needs a set.

$70.00 + free shipping. Anyone interested can send me a PM.

IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
reeser

Re: reeser's 2.x buildlog

Postby Greolt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:23 am

reeser wrote: AWC608 DSP for the laser. I would be interested in any input pro or con on that decision.

Anywells AWC608 is good but better get the later version AWC708C Lite. Why buy the superseded version.

They are both made by Shenzhen Trocen(Anywells) Automation Co.,Ltd. See their site, http://www.sztrocen.com/ for info, software downloads, etc.

AWC708 can be had from any number of suppliers for US$330

Sinjoe is one such supplier. They also have software / firmware downloads
Greolt

Postby sshwarts » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Lightobject and Marco in particular is a good friend of this forum. While you can probably source cheaper, I personally recommend his product because you can get support and also he adapts the products for the US market (at least the best he can since he still at the mercy of his manufactures). What he calls the X7 DSP I think is the latest DSP with his design display panel.

Scott
sshwarts

Postby reeser » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks all for the comments. I have verified that the DSP at Light Object is the same item (AWC708C Lite). I'm inclined to agree that purchasing from Marco is the way to go. The difference in price as far as I can tell is $425.00 from LO to $380.00 (including shipping) from Alibaba or one of the other Chinese suppliers.
Anyone have any experience to comment on whether the difference between the AW608 and AW708 is worth the extra forty bucks?

Thanks
Dick
reeser

Postby Greolt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Of course not everyone lives in the USA.

As far as the difference, I have owned and operated both.

The AWC708 has a bit nicer panel and displays the job to be cut.

I like the Z axis up/down buttons.

It does not have the AWC608's propensity for the display unit to lose track while the controller is cutting.

In all other respects that I can see, it still has the AWC608's list of short comings.

All in all I would not hesitate to buy the AWC708 again.

Now that it is available, I would not bother with the AWC608.

Inevitably firmware development will eventually concentrate on the newer model. Anybody seen any new firmware for the older 2012 model lately?
Greolt

Postby sshwarts » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Fair enough about being outside the US. I agree that for a new build I'd go with the 708.
New firmware for the 608 and latest LaserCAD was just released in fact by LO on Sunday (or at least that's when he posted the links).

Scott
sshwarts

Postby bloq » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 am

Where would you get the AWC 708? I cannot find it on lightobject. They only have the AWC 608 and an X7. Maybe i am just to blind to see ; )?

thanks!
tm
bloq

Postby Greolt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:15 am

LightObject are marketing the AWC708, as the LightObject X7. It is the same thing.

They have got the manufacturer to make a label with their name on it, over the buttons on the display unit. I think even some of the button positions have been moved.
Greolt

Postby bloq » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Awesome! Thank you for the information. I already asked lightobject but i did not understand there answer. Now everything is clear. Thanks a lot!
bloq

Postby reeser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:20 am

I thought I would post a quick update of my build. I finished the mechanical build today and started on the wiring. Essentially the only change I have made thus far was to move the Z axis stepper motor to the bottom of the frame, as has been done by several others. This gets the motor away from where the laser tube will eventually reside. I did find a few errors during the build.
Nothing really serious but I did have to make a couple of trips to Home Depot to pick up some odds and ends of Metric Screws that I needed over and above what the BOM called for.

I have decided to go ahead and complete the electronics using the Interface/driver board and Mach3. Once I get that all running then I will modify the electronics and add the Light Object X7 DSP, based on the recommendation of some that it probably makes no sense to buy the AWC608 at this point in its life.
My thinking is that doing it a step at a time will be easier (At least for me) for me to understand what is going on. I'm not nearly as comfortable on the electronics end as I am on the mechanical end :)
I have attached a few pictures of the completion of the mechanical build.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome

IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG
Hi All:
reeser