Diyenginer Ex-Boeing CNC machine: Possible Laser add on =)

No build log?...Post Pictures of your laser here

Diyenginer Ex-Boeing CNC machine: Possible Laser add on =)

Postby diyengineer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:32 am

Hello Everyone i am completely new here. Have a huge cnc machine that im currently fixing up and converting. It has a monster bed on it and looks like it would be a perfect candidate for a laser attachment.
Found here (my entire build log):
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103291

It features a 3hp high speed spindle. After reading about lasers and looking into it i stumbled across this website and i'm very happy! I've already printed out a PDF i found on here about how to make your own laser! Very cool, im tempted to do it but would like to purchase a Chinese laser off Ebay from love-happyshopping (to just jump in and get my feet wet). I purchased my high speed spindle from him and the transaction was flawless. It only took 3 days to ship it from hong kong to Seattle, and the quality of the product was superb. I saw the 40-60 watt lasers range from 150-250 dollars, and the power supplies go from 200-300 dollars.

Tonight im going to read as much of this forum i can and look into everyone elses build logs so i can really suck up as much info as possible.

i would like to fabricate and mount the laser to the gantry. This way i can either use the machine for a laser cutter or a mill. The laser can be easily mounted on the gantry 80"+ wide. I have 2 options when it comes to my "z axis". I can mount it on the side of where the spindle is and use my current servo driven axis, or the opposite side also has a large faceplate with a follow carriage that is a part of the front carriage. I could easily buy a very small Z axis and mount the optics to the rear of the machine on the new mini z axis. :)

Well i will read more and more. Hopefully tonight i will be up to date on the "laser lingo".

Glad to be a part of this forum, hopefully i can offer my help to others.

Thanks!
Diyengineer

Software:
Solidworks 2010
Mastercam X4
Mach 3
Attachments
machine.jpg
Rebuilding Monster Ex Boeing CNC! Help me out :)
diyengineer

Re: Diyenginer Ex-Boeing CNC machine: Possible Laser add on =)

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:46 am

Wow! If I had a machine like that, it would be screaming for a 200 - 300W RF tube that can cut stainless steel. But of course you need to get your feet wet, so the 40W tube will accomplish that.
lasersafe1

Postby diyengineer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:09 am

Well where do i begin? If you were me would you grab a 40 watter, or go for 60? What would i need to etch aluminum?
If i could cut/etch plastics and such that would be sweet. If i could etch metal, that would be even better!!!
I was reading a post on here where the guy took a 40 watt tube and with optics tightened to beam and it allowed him to etch metal?
Something about it being equivalent to 1000watt laser but a really small beam..

I will keep reading throughout the night until i read it all haha.

Just for "fun", how many watts would i need to cut through .063" 6061-T6 aluminum?

:)

Thanks for the reply!
diyengineer

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 pm

40W will be sufficient to "mark" metals if you use the CerMark spray. It will not mark metal without it. Don't know about this new high focus lens.
It will be just fine for removing the anodized color layer from anodized aluminum panel. The laser removes the color and only burns down to the initial white substrate.
It will cut plexiglass up to 1/4" slowly. It will engrave plexiglass quickly.
It will engrave black granite beautifully.
It is obviously good for wood and paper.
I can't answer you metal question, but you should surf EPILOG, Universal Laser, etc for some pretty detailed info. KERN laser has a 150W unit that can cut metal, but their site is running right now.
lasersafe1

Postby diyengineer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm

I would buy a 150 watt laser, if the price online was not close to $2000 (USD) for the tube.. :(
diyengineer

Postby diyengineer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 am

So if i went with the 40 watter and used the Cermark spray, whats the slowest IPM the gantry can go? Mine will easily be able to do 1000 IPM, and 500 on the y axis. However i dont want to run them back and forth that fast. It will just wear out the machine. Can i run it slower, and if so how slow? 100IPM? It takes a lot of force to push something that fast and heavy in one direction, STOP and reverse with the same speed.
diyengineer

Postby diyengineer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:15 am

BTW Cermark looks amazing! exactly what i need!!!
diyengineer

Re: Diyenginer Ex-Boeing CNC machine: Possible Laser add on

Postby diyengineer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 am

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_m ... oeing.html

Build log still going on.

Just getting the high speed spindle up and running.

Still looking into laser attachments. From what i have seen 40 watts wont even make a scratch in aluminum unless you use the cermark.

Maybe someone on here with a larger 100watt+ tube can try to cut a think piece of aluminum.
diyengineer

Postby macona » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:41 am

Even with ceramark it wont scratch aluminum. The laser is just baking the ceramark on.

To do anything in aluminum you are going to need powers in the orders of KW. Steels will cut at lower powers since you can use O2 as an assist gas and the metal burns away in a exothermic reaction. With aluminum you have to cut using brute force. Metal is melted away and assist gas pushes it away. Also you have to contend with the high thermal conductivity of aluminum which draws the heat away.

If you really want to look at cutting aluminum you need to go to plasma.
macona

Postby trwalters001 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I think YAG will also do it.
trwalters001

Return to Gallery Of Machines