Bill's 2.x Gallery

Show pictures of stuff you made

Re: Bill's 2.x Gallery

Postby whmeade10 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 pm

bdring wrote:Is it true, engraving leather smells like burning flesh?

I am not sure what burning flesh smells like, but the coaster does smell really bad until you get the leather sealer on it. I was surprised that I couldn't smell it at all while it was being laser engraved. I am using the green harbor freight blower and it does a great job of keeping the house from smelling while I am working with the laser.
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby whmeade10 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 am

Here is a black marble desk name bar from LaserBits that I made for my brother tonight. Black Marble is very easy to engrave and turned out really nice. Now I need to order another one for my sister in law.

Material: 8" x 2" x 2" Black Marble Desk Name Bar
Laser Settings: Speed 200 mm/sec | Power: 35% | Scan Gap: .09

DSC_2162.jpg
8" x 2" x 2" Black Marble Desk Name Bar

Cheers, :D
Bill
whmeade10

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 am

When I engrave marble it makes cool little sparks. No smoke or smell too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby trwalters001 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 am

Hi Bill,

I'm just now starting to use my DSP from Lightobject.

I see you are changing your scan gap for different media. Maybe I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time...) :lol:

I thought you'd set your scan gap to whatever your system is built to. For instance, my system is built so that both axes are 1000dpi. So, 1 step (or scan line) would be .001", or .0254mm. It looks like the closest I can set the DSP is .03mm. I'm getting pretty good scans wih it set there.

Could you elaborate on your thought process with this (since we have SUCH A GREAT MANUAL with the blue-panel DSP... not.)

Thanks!

Tim
trwalters001

Postby twehr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:29 pm

trwalters001 wrote:Hi Bill,

I'm just now starting to use my DSP from Lightobject.

I see you are changing your scan gap for different media. Maybe I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time...) :lol:

I thought you'd set your scan gap to whatever your system is built to. For instance, my system is built so that both axes are 1000dpi. So, 1 step (or scan line) would be .001", or .0254mm. It looks like the closest I can set the DSP is .03mm. I'm getting pretty good scans wih it set there.

Could you elaborate on your thought process with this (since we have SUCH A GREAT MANUAL with the blue-panel DSP... not.)

Thanks!

Tim

A couple of things you want to consider:
1. What is your (focused) beam size? The best you will ever get is to set you scans so that your spots do not overlap. Certain materials (granite, etc) may actually benefit from a little overlap or even a little space between scan lines, since granite, marble, glass, etc all work by exploding chunks of material from the surface.
2. Speed is a concern. If you set to .03mm, it will take you about 3.33 times as long to run a job as it does at .10 (the default) setting.

What Tim is doing is setting to .09, which is probably giving him a slightly smoother output, eliminating any possible ridges between scan lines.

All in all, you have to experiment with your laser, your material, and your time. Then use what works best for you. Don't know how you would put that in a manual. ;)
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby whmeade10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks Tim, I couldn't of said it any better. I did a run on the bottom of the name bar with a scan gap of .10 and it seems a little banded to me so I changed it to .09 and it looked much better. I am just a beginner here so I do a lot of experimenting with settings. I found a scan gap chart, and supposedly a .10 scan gap is equivalent of 250 DPI while a scan gap of .09 is the equivalent of 300 DPI. The scan gap chart is below. I am not sure if the scan gap chart can be used with any laser or just the lasers with printer drivers. To me it seemed the smaller the scan gap the better the outcome, but it does take longer the lower the scan gap is.

scan gap settings.GIF
Scan Gap Chart

Bill
whmeade10

Postby twehr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm

whmeade10 wrote:Thanks Tim, I couldn't of said it any better. I did a run on the bottom of the name bar with a scan gap of .10 and it seems a little banded to me so I changed it to .09 and it looked much better. I am just a beginner here so I do a lot of experimenting with settings. I found a scan gap chart, and supposedly a .10 scan gap is equivalent of 250 DPI while a scan gap of .09 is the equivalent of 300 DPI. The scan gap chart is below. I am not sure if the scan gap chart can be used with any laser or just the lasers with printer drivers. To me it seemed the smaller the scan gap the better the outcome, but it does take longer the lower the scan gap is.

scan gap settings.GIF

Bill

Bill,

Your interpretation of the scan gap setting table is correct. Remember that this applies ONLY to the engraving of vector graphics. Any bitmaps you use will be engraved at their native DPI. That is why we set bitmap images to 254 or 508 or 127 - to keep from getting gaps or overlaps.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby whmeade10 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 am

Here is my latest project. It is an oval piece of granite I ordered from Laser Bits.
This is my first grand child. :D Those are her actual foot prints that I scanned.

This is my first project with the FSE RetinaEngrave v4 Board with LCD Display.
It was printed at: 500 DPI, 100% Speed, 75% Power

Granite_SJM.jpg

Cheers,
Bill
whmeade10

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 pm

First use of Bart's rotational device with v4 Retina. I used a cheap wine glass from the Dollar store and it turned out pretty good.
Picture is not very good. Hard to get a good one with all the reflections.

It was printed at: 500 DPI, 100% Speed, 75% Power

WG1.jpg
Engraved Wine Glass
WG1.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 31292 times

Bill
whmeade10

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Here is a leather wrist band I just finished for my son-in-law.
I may try and select dither next time and see how it turns out.

It was printed at: 500 DPI, 75% Speed, 18% Power

LRB1.jpg
Leather wrist band.

Bill
whmeade10

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery