BuildLog CNC Router?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Re: BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby barclayo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Ah, so I did -- I just found this thread yesterday. Thank you for the clarification, mattrsch.
barclayo

Postby bill.french » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Considering how much luck folks are having with setups like this:

...i'm guessing makerslide would be generally superior?
bill.french

Postby kylelnsn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

As above Certainly!!

I think if we could get a near final drawing/model from bdring, then a few of us could make some? I would be prepared to spend some time and cash on this? Just depends on scale?

That way we can evaluate design, and bdring can continue shipping maker slide and laser product.
kylelnsn

Postby ecurtz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:26 pm

I've been playing around with SketchUp and thinking about a third multipurpose plate that could be used for the Z and Y motor mounts. Obviously the hole patterns aren't final, but I thought people might have some feedback (I'm open to reasons it's a bad idea as well, I'm a programmer, not an engineer.)

Two Z-axis doodles, for the Y I was just thinking it would bolt to an extrusion and the tensioning belt would use the bearing plate mounting holes.

EDIT Number 2: New pictures with an improved version of the plate. Still missing the holes for mounting the bearing for the lead screw. Also not sure about the connection in the case of the single piece of MakerSlide.

ImageImage
ecurtz

Postby J45on » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Any news on a build log maker slide CNC Router yet ?
J45on

Postby nickgoodenough » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Bump.

I'm very interested in updates on the router. I've been saving to build a 4'x8' router for some time. Holding off for makerslide, it seems the system to invest in.

@Bdring, how can non-engineers help propel this project further?
nickgoodenough

Postby BenJackson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm

I think the scale of makerslide is wrong for 4x8. This is a similar idea on a larger scale: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/machine-kits-c-29.html

I'll probably end up with one of the 4x8 kits one of these days.
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Ben is correct. The Makerslide was not designed for such large machines. At that length you would need to stiffen the material by mounting it to something. Even if you do that, the increased weight will start to be a problem with the wheels.

I have had good success with steel V wheels on hard coated Makerslide, but that is expensive. My anodizer charges a $150 lot charge to do that and the max length is about 8 feet.

I had some unfinished Makerslide hard coated. The stuff I sell is already anodized. You would need to check if the hard coater can strip that first.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby ecurtz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I put up a very early WIP / scratchpad of the design I was playing with at the 3D Warehouse.

MakerSlide Router WIP

I started from Bart's original simple mockup and have been trying to get something close using parts that are actually available from the various web and eBay dealers. I'm not an engineer, and won't claim anything there is usable, but the SketchUp file is up for anyone who wants to play around with it.

ecurtz

Postby ecurtz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Here's another clever looking Kickstarter project that might be interesting to people in this thread. I have no connection with these guys, I just thought "mass" producing the Z-axis parts like this was intriguing.

CNC building blocks at Kickstarter

ecurtz

PreviousNext

Return to Designs and Design Ideas