Bill's 2.x Gallery

Show pictures of stuff you made

Re: Bill's 2.x Gallery

Postby artwood_decor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Maybe some other DSP users can try to do the same job and post their results...
I don't have a machine yet but intend to build one soon, and considered LO DSP 2012 as a final controller (after everything works well under MACH3) combined with Bart's 4 axis Polulu driver.
Your side by side pictures kind of discouraged me, but won't take a final decision until I will see more results (good or bad) from DSP users.

Lucian
artwood_decor

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm

We've been through this all before. Clearly the DSP and Retina Engrave are on Par with each other. There were advantages and disadvantages of each. I have an image at 1200dpi posted in this thread. Click on the second image down to see the fine detail available from the DSP. The Retina could do the same detail, but was slightly better at handling the angled edge from the image. At the time though, the Retina did not handle home reset switches. Perhaps it does now? http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36&start=80

Page 8 of that thread shows the image size as compared to a penny.
lasersafe1

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Maybe "we" have been though this before, but combined with what I have read in other threads about another current issue of the 2012 version it seems the current 2012 DSP may not be on par at this point in time with the Retina. At least until this current issue with the 2012 is sorted out.

http://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.p ... 3089#p3089

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=908&p=7034&hilit=2012+issue#p7034

Having to do anything to mod a 485.00 board to get it to work properly is unacceptable. People need to know this stuff, so if it is said more than once I think it is worth it. Once this is sorted out I will probably get the DSP LO 2012, but not before. If I had to buy today I probably would have to go with the Retina.
Sorry to mess up Bills gallery this can be moved to another thread if need be.
steppenshoe

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Sorry, I was just pointing out the capabilities and trying to show that there was indeed something wrong in the focus or setup of the earlier picture in this thread. I agree that the 2012 DSP screwup was pretty bad. Perhaps if they produced 1000 units, then they will have a fire sale of this version when they rework the PCB. I would sure buy one on sale because adding an inverter is no big deal to me. I already had to add an inverter board on my optical limit switches to get it to work properly on the version 1 DSP I own. Electrically, the 2ns delay of an inverter is invisible to the final engraving or cut.
lasersafe1

Postby SScnc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Since you all are discussing the DSP from LO, I'd like to ask about it as I'm about to order one. I've watched lasersafe's and twehr's videos and it looks great, before ordering my 40w KIII I had read about how bad Moshi is but I thought well, I can get by with it for a while but it truly is useless to say the least.

Is all that's wrong with the 2012 DSP is that I need to add an inverter to the output to control the laser ? If so, that's no big deal for me considering all else that is gained from upgrading to this. I agree that at about $500. this shouldn't be necessary though.

Also, am I correct that I need stepper drivers to use the DSP unit ?

Has there been any word from LO that they may offer a discount due to this ?

That's it, thanks for any advice
SScnc

Postby twehr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:08 pm

SScnc wrote:Since you all are discussing the DSP from LO, I'd like to ask about it as I'm about to order one. I've watched lasersafe's and twehr's videos and it looks great, before ordering my 40w KIII I had read about how bad Moshi is but I thought well, I can get by with it for a while but it truly is useless to say the least.

Is all that's wrong with the 2012 DSP is that I need to add an inverter to the output to control the laser ? If so, that's no big deal for me considering all else that is gained from upgrading to this. I agree that at about $500. this shouldn't be necessary though.

Also, am I correct that I need stepper drivers to use the DSP unit ?

Has there been any word from LO that they may offer a discount due to this ?

That's it, thanks for any advice

Yes, you will need stepper drivers. LO has some or you can get BuildLog's 4-axis driver board. Either work fine.

I don't have the 2012 model. Certainly, I am seeing there have been some issues with it. It is a new board, but the software is mainly what they have been using for a year or two, with some improvements. Like any new board, there is the chance you will fine unexpected behavior (undocumented features :mrgreen: ) I know Marco is working hard to get them resolved. Most of the software issues are being handled, almost instantly, as they can simply upgrade the software. Board issues are a bit more difficult. For the current (and only?) known board issue - the need to invert the laser firing line so you can use Active High (TH) instead of Active Low (TL), I wouldn't find that to be a deal breaker in any sense.

If anybody wants to know about discounts, I think LO would be the place to ask, rather than BuildLog. I don't know whether Marco has any intentions that way or not. I do know that Marco appreciates his good and loyal customers. I, for one, have always been happy with how Marco handles customer problems.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby SScnc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks Tim, I have an extra G540 for my CNC router but it doesn't appear to me that that is compatible for this as it has the BOB built in, and I have 3 KL4030 drivers in my control box for my cnc mill, I thought about removing 2 of those to use for a while but I just looked closer at Bart's 4 axis interface/driver you refer to and it looks like that's the best choice. In his video, Bart talks about his board being pin compatible with the FSE Retina so I'm assuming the Retina and LO units are both pin compatible, so to speak.

I agree with you that the inverter addition is not really a deal breaker, After posting here earlier I did realize I needed to ask LO direct so I shot them an email. I have been reading regarding Marco's good service and also looks like he replies on the forums good too which is another reason I think I'll go with the 2012 over the Retina.

I hope I'm not causing this thread to continue to diverge further off topic, I know it's the gallery but I really appreciate the feedback and help !

Steve
SScnc

Postby whmeade10 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 am

Started Christmas presents tonight. :D Picked this blank heart picture frame up at Michaels for $1. One of the best places I have found for getting ideas and materials for lasing.
Now to find that perfect picture of my grand daughter to put in it. :D

cp1.jpg
8.5" x 6.5" Heart Frame.

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

That is awesome! What font it that for Great Granda? I love the way the uppercase G blends into the rest.
lasersafe1

Postby whmeade10 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:02 pm

lasersafe1 wrote:That is awesome! What font it that for Great Granda? I love the way the uppercase G blends into the rest.

Thank you, the font is called (Edwardian Script ITC). It is a free font I downloaded from somewhere. If you can't find it, let me know and I can email it to you.
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery