Low profile configuration

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Low profile configuration

Postby BenJackson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 am

With the 1/4" spacer and dual-bearing V-wheels the carriage rides pretty high over the makerslide. I'm wondering if you see any problem with swapping a #10 washer for the spacer and moving the eccentric adjustment to the top as needed:

New Assembly (5).jpg
BenJackson

Re: Low profile configuration

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Nice idea. I believe that would work fine. If there was a long spacer underneath I might worry, but it looks fine.

The recommended assembly method is to install the wheel with the spacer rotated to the widest wheel spacing. You put it on the track, then adjust the tension. You can actually have the wheel pretty tight and still adjust the spacer with a little open end wrench. You only need to be careful on some materials that might get damaged with that method like Acrylic. Acrylic actually works very well as carriage material and I do rotate with a pretty tight screw, but I am more careful.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:47 pm

nice idea,if this lets you ditch the spacers, it would let you use shorter socket head screws as well. would this affect the alignment of the mirrors at all?
Enraged

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:08 pm

I do not think he is using this for the 2.x Laser. I would definitely screw up the mirrors.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

This was not for the 2.x Laser.

Did you try dual bearing V-wheels on the upgraded laser X carriage? It would ride slightly higher in the beam path like that.

(the other downside to this "slim" arrangement is incompatibility with the standard stepper belt mountings: The belt can't go under (in the "ORD bot" config) and won't quite line up with the laser gantry bracket (although a spacer under the belt would fix that).
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:37 am

The 2.x uses the old single bearing wheels for the X. It was done to keep the mirrors the same as before.

I have played a few times trying to get the belt to run inside the t slot, but it was always been overly complicated. It would be nice if someone came up with a simple solution for that. Some sort of fin like protrusion would drop into the slot and grab the belt. The slot width is 6mm.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby canadianavenger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 am

bdring wrote:I have played a few times trying to get the belt to run inside the t slot, but it was always been overly complicated. It would be nice if someone came up with a simple solution for that. Some sort of fin like protrusion would drop into the slot and grab the belt. The slot width is 6mm.

Why not run the belt return path in the slot, and leave the belt attachment on top still? This will be more easily serviced/adjusted than if the belt attachment was below the sled in the slot.
canadianavenger

Return to Designs and Design Ideas